The Artists Council is a patron group comprised of art collectors and aficionados who share a passion for the Whitney and its commitment to working with emerging artists. Throughout the year, Artists Council members have the unique opportunity to engage with Whitney artists and experience their work, often before the artists are widely known to the contemporary art world.
With the guidance of Rujeko Hockley, the Whitney’s Arnhold Associate Curator, the group gains access to cutting-edge artists’ studios, private collections, and the tastemakers of the art world. Hockley brings her vast knowledge of art to Artists Council, providing a historical and cultural context around the contemporary.
Participation begins with an annual gift of $5,000.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (212) 671-5402.
Past events include:
- Exclusive exhibition talks and tours with Whitney artists such as Meriem Bennani and Orian Barki, Leidy Churchman, Aaron Gilbert, Hugh Hayden, Jamian Juliano-Villani, Maia Ruth Lee, Eric N. Mack, Tala Madani, Aki Sasamoto, Salman Toor, WangShui, and others.
- Private studio visits with artists Harold Ancart, Brian Belott, Miguel Luciano, Jordan Nassar, among others.
- Annual “Artists Council in the Hamptons” events that have included studio visits and talks with Whitney artists such as Diana Al-Hadid, Elizabeth Jaeger, Rashid Johnson and Sheree Hovsepian, Virginia Overton, and Hank Willis Thomas. The group has visited numerous private collections in East Hampton and Wainscott, and has been hosted for private events at Surf Lodge and Refinery29 Beach House.
- Day trips to art destinations in the tri-state area. Recent trips include The Brant Foundation Art Study Center, Dia: Beacon, and Storm King Art Center.
- Private collection visits in New York City and beyond.
- Gallery walks led by Rujeko Hockley that are designed to highlight the influential artists and galleries of the moment.