SHERRIE LEVINE: MAYHEM Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide highlights selected works from the exhibition SHERRIE LEVINE: MAYHEM and features commentary by Johanna Burton, guest curator, critic, and art historian; Thomas Crow, art historian; Richard Flood, chief curator at the New Museum; Howard Singerman, critic and art historian; Carrie Springer, senior curatorial assistant; and Elisabeth Sussman, curator and Sondra Gilman Curator of Photography.
NARRATOR: Levine’s After Blossfeldt is a series of twenty images drawn from the photographer’s body of work. Blossfeldt worked in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, gathering plant materials, cleaning them up, isolating them against a solid background, and magnifying them in photographs.
CARRIE SPRINGER: The very act of re-presenting them opens them up to all sorts of references that might not have been a part of Blossfeldt's work.
NARRATOR: Carrie Springer is a senior curatorial assistant at the Whitney.
CARRIE SPRINGER: He was clearly looking at the relationship between the plant forms and forms in art. However, her re-presentation of them really makes that so much more apparent.
I think that she gives us the opportunity to look at them in a lot of different ways. That's not to say that Blossfeldt himself and his original vision is not important. She just brings that to us. She brings us the forms, which are incredible, which are incredibly sensuous, which are incredibly complex, which have elements that are both, kind of, cold and warm at the same time. And she brings them to us in these images that leave it in our hands or in our minds with our intuition, to make all the connections that we might make. They may be hers, they may not be hers. But they can be ours. And that's one of the most interesting aspects of it, to me.
- 300 Introduction to SHERRIE LEVINE: MAYHEM
- 301 Sherrie Levine, After Walker Evans 1–22, 1981, printed 2010
- 302 Sherrie Levine, Fountain (After Marcel Duchamp), 1991, and Fountain (Buddha), 1996
- 303 Sherrie Levine, Knot Paintings, 1987–2002
- 304 Sherrie Levine, Broad Stripe paintings, 1985
- 305 Sherrie Levine, Newborns (Crystal Newborn, 1993, and Black Newborn, 1994)
- 306 Sherrie Levine, Crystal Skull 1–12, 2010
- 307 Sherrie Levine, After Blossfeldt 1–20, 1990
- 309 Sherrie Levine, Bachelors 1–6, 1989–90
- 310 Sherrie Levine, L’Absinthe, 1995
- 311 Sherrie Levine, Melt Down paintings, 1990
- 312 Sherrie Levine, After Courbet 1–18, 2010
- 313 Sherrie Levine, Equivalents (After Stieglitz): 1–18, 2006
- 314 Sherrie Levine, Red and Grey Check: 7–12, 2000