Hélio Oiticica: To Organize Delirium Audio Guide Playlist
Narrator: Oiticica called sculptures like this one Bólides—fireballs. Some of these table-top sculptures have parts that viewers could originally move. Others contained tactile materials such as sand or pigments.
Elisabeth Sussman: The boxes are intimate.
Narrator: Elisabeth Sussman is Sondra Gilman Curator of Photography, and one of the curators of this exhibition.
Elisabeth Sussman: They're very relational. He had this ideal sense of what a work of art could or should be and that involved touching and investigation.
Narrator: This one invites us to enter it imaginatively, as well.
Elisabeth Sussman: You look into it and it looks like, from the outside, like a little pavilion, like a little house, model of a house. You look inside and there's a mirror and then the end of it is open and has gauze, and it looks like a sleeping porch end of it. You can project onto it whatever you want, but it does seem to be about some kind of ideal dwelling.
B16 Box Bólide 12, Archaeological (B16 Bólide caixa 12, Arqueológico), 1964–65. Synthetic polymer paint with earth on wood structure, nylon net, corrugated cardboard, mirror, glass, rocks, earth, and fluorescent lamp, 14 1/2 x 51 5/8 x 20 1/2 in. (37 x 131.2 x 52.1 cm). The Museum of Modern Art, New York; gift of Patricia Phelps de Cisneros in honor of Paulo Herkenhoff. © The Museum of Modern Art/Licensed by SCALA / Art Resource, NY
- 500 Hélio Oiticica, Introduction
- 501 Hélio Oiticica, Metaesquema
- 502 Hélio Oiticica, P58 Spatial Relief, Red (P58 Relevo espacial, vermêlho), 1960
- 503 Hélio Oiticica, NC6 Medium Nucleus 3 (NC6 Núcleo médio 3), 1961–63
- 504 Hélio Oiticica, B16 Box Bólide 12, Archaeological (B16 Bólide caixa 12, Arqueológico), 1964-65
- 505 Hélio Oiticica, B33 Box Bólide 18, Homage to Cara de Cavalo (B33 Bólide caixa 18, Homenagem à Cara de Cavalo), 1965-66
- 505-2 Hélio Oiticica, B33 Box Bólide 18, Homage to Cara de Cavalo (B33 Bólide caixa 18, Homenagem à Cara de Cavalo), 1965-66
- 506 Hélio Oiticica, Seja marginal, seja herói (Be an outlaw, be a hero), 1968
- 507 Hélio Oiticica, Tropicália, 1966-67
- 508 Hélio Oiticica, Eden, 1969
- 509 Hélio Oiticica, Rio Parangolés
- 509-2 Hélio Oiticica, Rio Parangolés
- 510 Hélio Oiticica, Babylonests, 1971
- 511 Hélio Oiticica, Topázion-Flor for Haroldo de Campos, 1975
- 512 Hélio Oiticica, Cosmococa
- 513 Hélio Oiticica, PN27 Penetrable, Rijanviera, 1979
- 514 Hélio Oiticica, Manhattan Brutalista (Brutalist Manhattan), 1978