Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide features a selection of Frank Stella's works in Frank Stella: A Retrospective with commentary by Stella himself, along with scholars, writers, artists, and curators.
Adam Weinberg: Eskimo Curlew is a beautiful, lyrical painting.
Narrator: The painting comes from a series that Stella called the Exotic Birds.
Adam Weinberg: So here, you have the idea of birds being the most natural and non-formal structure.
Narrator: At the same time, the painting’s swooping forms come from the technical realm―they’re drawn from French curves and other tools for mechanical drawing.
Adam Weinberg: What you see is elements floating above a picture plane. A picture plane that then is actually recessed as well. You have the sense of objects floating in an almost slightly surrealist fashion against the rectangle of the aluminum. And now, replacing canvas, which he had been using for several decades, he is now going into the use of metal and cut metal. Seeing how other materials can be the support for painterly activities. And what you find is that he's having fun painting.
You could see that the surfaces, the linear qualities, the wave‑like qualities, colors come back into it. These are exotic paintings especially by virtue of thinking of where Stella had come from in terms of the Black Paintings, the Aluminum Paintings, the Copper Paintings. These almost, for some people, start to go off the deep end.
- 501 Frank Stella, Das Erdbeben in Chili [N#3] (The Earthquake in Chile), 1999
- 502 Frank Stella, Delta, 1958
- 503 Frank Stella, Die Fahne hoch!, 1959
- 504 Frank Stella, Astoria, 1958
- 505 Frank Stella, Avicenna, 1960
- 506 Frank Stella, Creede I and Creede II, 1961
- 507 Frank Stella, Loomings (S-7, 3X – 1st version), 1986
- 508 Frank Stella, The Whiteness of the Whale (IRS-1, 2X), 1987
- 510 Frank Stella, Harran II, 1967
- 509 Frank Stella, Effingham II, 1966
- 511 Frank Stella, Jasper’s Dilemma, 1962
- 512 Frank Stella, Jarmolince III, 1973
- 513 Frank Stella, Gobba, zoppa, e collotorto, 1985
- 514 Frank Stella, Inaccessible Island Rail, 5.5x, 1976
- 515 Frank Stella, Zeltweg, 1982
- 516 Frank Stella, Eskimo Curlew, 1976
- 519 Frank Stella, Raft of the Medusa (Part I), 1990
- 521 Frank Stella, K.144, 2013
- 500 Introduction to Frank Stella: A Retrospective
- 518 Frank Stella, Damascus Gate (Stretch Variation III), 1970
- 520 Frank Stella, Circus of Pure Feeling for Malevich, 4 Square Circus, 16 parts, 2009
- 522 Frank Stella, K.81 combo (K.37 and K.43) large size, 2009