America Is Hard to See
Audio Guide Playlist
Kids can listen and learn from this audio guide highlighting selected works in America Is Hard to See.
Zip, zoom, boing!
Even before looking at the title of Elizabeth Murray’s oil painting, the bright, zany colors probably give you a joyous feeling. This is NOT the mood you’d have after being stuck inside on a horrible, rainy day.
Instead, Murray’s color blocks, blobs and zigzags show the exuberance of Children Meeting—maybe on a playground—just as the title says.
In fact, imagine these shapes were kids—what would the pink line say as it ricocheted past the goofy purple shape?
Hey! Hi there! Gotta go!
Elizabeth Murray (1940–2007). _Children Meeting_, 1978. Oil on canvas, 101 3/16 × 127 in. (257 × 322.6 cm). Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; purchase, with funds from the Louis and Bessie Adler Foundation, Inc., Seymour M. Klein, President 78.34 © 2015 The Murray-Holman Family Trust / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
- 543 Fred Wilson, Guarded View, 1991
- 000 Introduction to America Is Hard to See
- 553 Josh Kline, Cost of Living (Aleyda), 2014
- 554 Cory Arcangel, Super Mario Clouds, 2002
- 566 Mark Bradford, Bread and Circuses, 2005
- 522 Charles Ray, Boy, 1992
- 804 Max Weber, Chinese Restaurant, 1915
- 731 Walker Evans, Tengle Children, Hale County AL, 1936
- 712 Charles White, Preacher, 1952
- 744 Kids audio guide stop Lee Krasner, The Seasons, 1957
- 626 Andy Warhol, Green Coca-Cola Bottles, 1962
- 615 Raphael Montañez Ortiz, Archaeological Find, Number 9, 1964
- 624 Robert Bechtle, ’61 Pontiac, 1968
- 628 Malcolm Bailey, Untitled 1969, 1969
- 640 Eva Hesse, No Title, 1970
- 630 George Segal, Walk, Don’t Walk, 1976
- 527 Nam June Paik, V-yramid, 1982
- 648 Scott Burton, Pair of Two-Part Chairs, Obtuse Angle, 1984
- 505 Elizabeth Murray, Children Meeting, 1978
- 526 Barbara Kruger, Untitled (We Don’t Need Another Hero), 1987