Jay DeFeo: A Retrospective Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide features commentary by artist Jay DeFeo, Dana Miller, curator of the permanent collection, Whitney Museum of American Art, Leah Levy, Director, The Jay DeFeo Trust, Corey Keller, associate curator of photography, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Greil Marcus, writer and critic, Ursula Cipa, and Fred Martin, friends of DeFeo.
COREY KELLER: As with everything else with DeFeo, there's a second layer of meaning.
NARRATOR: Corey Keller.
COREY KELLER: The name of the bull fighting maneuver, the Verónica, comes from a much more ancient source. One of the women who accompanied Christ to Calvary wiped his brow with a piece of cloth, and the legend has it that Christ's face was imprinted, almost like a photograph, on that piece of cloth. She brought it to Rome where it was pronounced a vera icona, true image. From that, it became popularized as Verónica. That was how Saint Veronica got her name. She was the woman who brought the piece of cloth, as well as the bull fighting maneuver is named after that piece of cloth.
- 400 Introduction to Jay DeFeo: A Retrospective
- 401 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Florence), 1952
- 401 2 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Florence), 1952 — Level 2
- 402 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, c. 1953
- 403 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, c. 1953-55
- 404 Jay DeFeo, Landscape with Figure, 1955
- 404 2 Jay DeFeo, Landscape with Figure, 1955
- 405 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Everest), from the Mountain series, 1955
- 405 2 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Everest), from the Mountain series, 1955 — Level 2
- 406 Jay DeFeo, Blossom, 1958
- 408 Jay DeFeo, The Verónica, 1957
- 408 2 Jay DeFeo, The Verónica, 1957
- 409 Jay DeFeo, The Jewel, 1959
- 410 3 Jay DeFeo, The Rose, 1958–66 — Level 3
- 411 Jay DeFeo, After Image, 1970
- 412 Jay DeFeo, Tuxedo Junction, 1965/1974
- 413 Jay DeFeo, Crescent Bridge II, 1970–72
- 414 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, 1973
- 415 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, from the Tripod series, 1976
- 416 Jay DeFeo, Masquerade in Black (Loop System No. 4), 1975
- 417 Jay DeFeo, Pend O’Reille No. 2, from the Eternal Triangle series, 1980
- 417 2 Jay DeFeo, Pend O’Reille No. 2, from the Eternal Triangle series, 1980 — Level 2
- 418 Jay DeFeo, Verdict No. 1, 1982
- 419 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, 1987
- 420 Jay DeFeo, Seven Pillars of Wisdom No. 3, 1989
- 421 Jay DeFeo, Dove One, 1989
- 422 Jay DeFeo, White Water, 1989