Jay DeFeo: A Retrospective Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide features commentary by artist Jay DeFeo, Dana Miller, curator of the permanent collection, Whitney Museum of American Art, Leah Levy, Director, The Jay DeFeo Trust, Corey Keller, associate curator of photography, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Greil Marcus, writer and critic, Ursula Cipa, and Fred Martin, friends of DeFeo.
NARRATOR: This work, Blossom, is a collage made from magazine cutouts. DeFeo made a small number of these in the mid-1950s.
DANA MILLER: She took many of the images from girlie magazines. She collaged them into the form of this pinwheel floral motif, so they transcend their origins. The initially lurid imagery transcends its origins to become something else, a new reality, this floral motif.
She, I'm sure, was very much influenced by the going-ons of her peers, artists such as Jess and Wallace Berman and Bruce Conner, many of whom were experimenting with collage.
They were all looking to found materials, things that were readily available, cheap, things that spoke to the world around them and reflected the rapidly changing postwar consumer society. And doing so in a very sort of ironic and humorous fashion.
- 400 Introduction to Jay DeFeo: A Retrospective
- 401 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Florence), 1952
- 401 2 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Florence), 1952 — Level 2
- 402 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, c. 1953
- 403 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, c. 1953-55
- 404 Jay DeFeo, Landscape with Figure, 1955
- 404 2 Jay DeFeo, Landscape with Figure, 1955
- 405 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Everest), from the Mountain series, 1955
- 405 2 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Everest), from the Mountain series, 1955 — Level 2
- 406 Jay DeFeo, Blossom, 1958
- 408 Jay DeFeo, The Verónica, 1957
- 408 2 Jay DeFeo, The Verónica, 1957
- 409 Jay DeFeo, The Jewel, 1959
- 410 3 Jay DeFeo, The Rose, 1958–66 — Level 3
- 411 Jay DeFeo, After Image, 1970
- 412 Jay DeFeo, Tuxedo Junction, 1965/1974
- 413 Jay DeFeo, Crescent Bridge II, 1970–72
- 414 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, 1973
- 415 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, from the Tripod series, 1976
- 416 Jay DeFeo, Masquerade in Black (Loop System No. 4), 1975
- 417 Jay DeFeo, Pend O’Reille No. 2, from the Eternal Triangle series, 1980
- 417 2 Jay DeFeo, Pend O’Reille No. 2, from the Eternal Triangle series, 1980 — Level 2
- 418 Jay DeFeo, Verdict No. 1, 1982
- 419 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, 1987
- 420 Jay DeFeo, Seven Pillars of Wisdom No. 3, 1989
- 421 Jay DeFeo, Dove One, 1989
- 422 Jay DeFeo, White Water, 1989