Legacy: The Emily Fisher Landau Collection Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide, introduced by Alice Pratt Brown Director Adam D. Weinberg, highlights a diverse range of works from the exhibition Legacy: The Emily Fisher Landau Collection. Artists John Baldessari, Gregory Crewdson, Eric Fischl, Jasper Johns, Glenn Ligon, and Mark Tansey provide additional commentary.
NARRATOR: Jasper Johns is famously quoted for saying, "Take an object, do something to it, do something else to it." This process of repetition characterizes the work of his entire career. Printmaking, in particular, has offered the artist a way to create countless permutations of one theme.
This print re-examines a painting Johns made in 1960, called Painting with Two Balls. The original canvas was covered with colorful, expressionistic brushstrokes. Two ball bearings lodged in a crevice parodied the macho culture of Abstract Expressionism.
Here, Johns retains the powerful, gestural lines, but much of the image is taken up by various shades of gray—which Johns likes because, in his words, it avoids the “drama” of color. He discussed his use of gray in a 2007 interview.
JASPER JOHNS: I think I would have thought of it as a reality being stressed. That in a sense, the work would be drained of whatever excitement color afforded, and you would be left with what I think I must have thought of as reality, at that time.
- 400 Introduction to Legacy: The Emily Fisher Landau Collection
- 401 Ed Ruscha, The Act of Letting a Person into Your Home, 1983
- 402 Andy Warhol, Portrait of Emily Fisher Landau, 1984
- 403 Willem de Kooning, (no title), 1987
- 404 Cy Twombly, Untitled, 1964/84
- 405 Richard Prince, Man Crazy Nurse #3, 2003
- 406 Mark Tansey, Valley of Doubt, 1990
- 407 Andy Warhol, Myths, 1981
- 408 Agnes Martin, This Rain, 1960
- 409 Carl Andre, GAZETTEER, 1960
- 410 Rodney Graham, Oak, Banford, 1990
- 411 Allen Ruppersberg, The Gift and the Inheritance (Strive and Succeed), 1989
- 412 John Baldessari, What This Painting Aims To Do, 1967
- 413 Joseph Kosuth, Titled (Art as Idea as Idea), [self], 1967
- 414 Nan Goldin, Self-Portrait with Milagro, the Lodge, Belmont, MA 1988, 1988
- 415 Peter Hujar, Divine, 1975
- 416 Robert Mapplethorpe, Self-Portrait, 1988
- 417 Felix Gonzalez-Torres, Untitled (Love Letter from the War Front), 1988
- 418 Glenn Ligon, Son of a Role Model, 1990/91
- 419 Gregory Crewdson, Untitled (beckoning bus driver), 2001–02
- 420 Neil Jenney, Threat and Sanctuary, 1969
- 421 Eric Fischl, Emptying of the Estuary, 1993
- 422 Jenny Holzer, Under a Rock: You Spit on Them, 1989
- 423 Jasper Johns, Painting with Two Balls, 1971
- 424 Jasper Johns, Untitled, 1988
- 425 Keith Haring, Untitled, 1985