Hélio Oiticica: To Organize Delirium Audio Guide Playlist
Christopher Dunn: This is a work that was created in 1968 during a period of incredible cultural effervescence but also of political protest in Brazil.
Narrator: Christopher Dunn.
Christopher Dunn: We have this red banner with the sort of slogan, "be an outlaw, be a hero, (seja marginal, seja herói)." And on this banner we have the silhouette figure of an outlaw, a victim of police violence who is sort of prostrated on the ground after being murdered by off duty policemen, by these so-called death squads that were very active in the 1960s.
And so, it was seen very much as a political statement. But I think there's something else that's going on there, because the banner doesn't say "Be a proletariat, be a worker." Or "Be a Marxist, be a hero." Something like that, you know what I mean? It says "Be an outlaw."
I think Hélio was part of a whole general trend, if you will, in Brazilian culture that looked at these figures that were not so much heroic revolutionaries, but figures living on the margins of society and seeking more individual solutions, individual paths for surviving.
Narrator: Oiticica’s friends, the musicians Caetano Veloso and Gilberto Gil, hung this banner onstage during one of their concerts—an act that led to their arrest end eventual exile.
- 500 Hélio Oiticica, Introduction
- 501 Hélio Oiticica, Metaesquema
- 502 Hélio Oiticica, P58 Spatial Relief, Red (P58 Relevo espacial, vermêlho), 1960
- 503 Hélio Oiticica, NC6 Medium Nucleus 3 (NC6 Núcleo médio 3), 1961–63
- 504 Hélio Oiticica, B16 Box Bólide 12, Archaeological (B16 Bólide caixa 12, Arqueológico), 1964-65
- 505 Hélio Oiticica, B33 Box Bólide 18, Homage to Cara de Cavalo (B33 Bólide caixa 18, Homenagem à Cara de Cavalo), 1965-66
- 505-2 Hélio Oiticica, B33 Box Bólide 18, Homage to Cara de Cavalo (B33 Bólide caixa 18, Homenagem à Cara de Cavalo), 1965-66
- 506 Hélio Oiticica, Seja marginal, seja herói (Be an outlaw, be a hero), 1968
- 507 Hélio Oiticica, Tropicália, 1966-67
- 508 Hélio Oiticica, Eden, 1969
- 509 Hélio Oiticica, Rio Parangolés
- 509-2 Hélio Oiticica, Rio Parangolés
- 510 Hélio Oiticica, Babylonests, 1971
- 511 Hélio Oiticica, Topázion-Flor for Haroldo de Campos, 1975
- 512 Hélio Oiticica, Cosmococa
- 513 Hélio Oiticica, PN27 Penetrable, Rijanviera, 1979
- 514 Hélio Oiticica, Manhattan Brutalista (Brutalist Manhattan), 1978