Hélio Oiticica: To Organize Delirium Audio Guide Playlist
Narrator: Oiticica created his second major installation in London in 1969. He called it Eden.
Donna De Salvo: Here you are able to lie inside of Nests, what he called Nests.
Narrator: Donna De Salvo.
Donna De Salvo: Literally, beds. He put together magazines, and here you'll find magazines that we have actually sourced from the area. Here's where he really, I think, created even more of an environment in which you encounter yourself within the work—very contemplative experience, a sense of play. You can lie in the nest. You can read the books, you can listen.
So the totality of this experience is really what you bring to it and what you will bring as you walk through, as you lie in the nest, as you think, as you imagine. In a sense, he gives you kind of prompts. The environment is what really is pushing you or stimulating your senses. And this is the sensorial—that is so much a part of Oiticica's work.
Elisabeth Sussman: The ones that are most vivid to me from the time that I was in it is the tent that you go in and you listen to music.
Narrator: Elisabeth Sussman.
Elisabeth Sussman: The music that you hear is by Caetano Veloso. You put headphones on and you go into this tent, the reality of the museum where your experience is, is just blocked out. And I think that the experiences that he chooses are kind of these lovely things. You know that's why it's called Eden, because it imagines that if you have time, this is how you would use your time.
Eden, 1969. Installation. Sand, crushed bricks, dry leaves, water, cushions, flakes of foam, books, magazines, “Pulp fiction,” straw, matting, incense, 68.9 x 49.21 x 11.48 feet (21 x 15 x 3.5 m). César and Claudio Oiticica Collection, Rio de Janeiro. © César and Claudio Oiticica, Rio de Janeiro
- 500 Hélio Oiticica, Introduction
- 501 Hélio Oiticica, Metaesquema
- 502 Hélio Oiticica, P58 Spatial Relief, Red (P58 Relevo espacial, vermêlho), 1960
- 503 Hélio Oiticica, NC6 Medium Nucleus 3 (NC6 Núcleo médio 3), 1961–63
- 504 Hélio Oiticica, B16 Box Bólide 12, Archaeological (B16 Bólide caixa 12, Arqueológico), 1964-65
- 505 Hélio Oiticica, B33 Box Bólide 18, Homage to Cara de Cavalo (B33 Bólide caixa 18, Homenagem à Cara de Cavalo), 1965-66
- 505-2 Hélio Oiticica, B33 Box Bólide 18, Homage to Cara de Cavalo (B33 Bólide caixa 18, Homenagem à Cara de Cavalo), 1965-66
- 506 Hélio Oiticica, Seja marginal, seja herói (Be an outlaw, be a hero), 1968
- 507 Hélio Oiticica, Tropicália, 1966-67
- 508 Hélio Oiticica, Eden, 1969
- 509 Hélio Oiticica, Rio Parangolés
- 509-2 Hélio Oiticica, Rio Parangolés
- 510 Hélio Oiticica, Babylonests, 1971
- 511 Hélio Oiticica, Topázion-Flor for Haroldo de Campos, 1975
- 512 Hélio Oiticica, Cosmococa
- 513 Hélio Oiticica, PN27 Penetrable, Rijanviera, 1979
- 514 Hélio Oiticica, Manhattan Brutalista (Brutalist Manhattan), 1978