Whitney Biennial 2017 Audio Guide Playlist
Christopher Lew: I’m Christopher Lew, and I’m the Nancy and Fred Poses Associate Curator, and also the co-curator of the 2017 Whitney Biennial.
Mia Locks: I’m Mia Locks. I’m an independent curator, and co-curator of the 2017 Whitney Biennial.
Christopher Lew: It’s been really exciting to be able to present the first Biennial at the Whitney in the new building.
There are a number of ideas that weave together in the exhibition, and among them is this idea of the formation of a self. What does it mean to be an individual? How do we identify oneself? But also, how do we each relate to others, and how do we come together, or what are the forces that bring us apart?
Mia Locks: This year’s Biennial comes at the heels of a particularly polarizing presidential election. It’s a time when I think the rhetoric and the issues and some of the feelings in the air right now feel particularly elevated and intense. The exhibition emerges out of, or at least alongside this societal context, and many of the works address concerns about racial injustice, or violence, economic inequities, or structural asymmetries. And sometimes these ideas are addressed very directly, and other times much more obliquely.
Narrator: The Biennial is on view on several floors of the Museum, inside and out. When you’re ready to leave please remember to return your guide where you picked it up in the Lobby.
- 100 Introduction to Whitney Biennial 2017
- 300 Harold Mendez
- 500 Ajay Kurian
- 501 Dana Schutz
- 502 Cauleen Smith, Overview
- 502-2 Cauleen Smith, Overview
- 503 Jon Kessler
- 503-2 Jon Kessler
- 504a Occupy Museums, Introduction
- 504b Occupy Museums, Installation Overview
- 504c Occupy Museums, Artwork within Debtfair
- 504d Occupy Museums, Student Debt
- 504e Occupy Museums, Debt Resistance Now!
- 505 Pope.L aka William Pope.L
- 505-2 Pope.L aka William Pope.L
- 506 Torey Thornton
- 507 Matt Browning, Overview
- 508 Cameron Rowland
- 511 Shara Hughes
- 514 Harold Mendez
- 515 Casey Gollan and Victoria Sobel
- 516 Julien Nguyen
- 518 Dana Schutz
- 520 Frances Stark
- 521 Lyle Ashton Harris
- 522 Aliza Nisenbaum
- 523 Carrie Moyer
- 527 Raúl de Nieves
- 527-2 Raúl de Nieves
- 528 John Divola
- 529 Irena Haiduk
- 530 John Riepenhoff
- 530-2 John Riepenhoff
- 531 Ulrike Müller
- 532 Chemi Rosado-Seijo
- 603 Jessi Reaves
- 605 KAYA
- 606 Celeste Dupuy-Spencer
- 606-2 Celeste Dupuy-Spencer
- 608 An-My Lê
- 609 Porpentine Charity Heartscape
- 610 Jo Baer
- 611 Deana Lawson
- 612 Jordan Wolfson
- 614 Park McArthur, Overview
- 614-2 Park McArthur, Overview
- 616 Asad Raza
- 617 GCC
- 619 Puppies Puppies
- 619-2 Puppies Puppies