Danny Lyon: Message to the Future Audio Guide Playlist
Listen to commentary from scholars Elisabeth Sussman, Todd Gitlin, Julian Cox, and artist Danny Lyon on selected works in the exhibition Danny Lyon: Message to the Future.
Narrator: Here, Lyon focuses on a lone boulder in the desert. In recent years, Lyon has increasingly focused on the New Mexican landscape and fossils. These images serve as records of an ancient geological past—one whose continuity is in danger of being disrupted by overdevelopment and other forms of environmental degradation.
Julian Cox: In some ways this is a picture that doesn't look like a Danny Lyon photograph. It looks unlike anything that we know him to have made prior to this point.
I think that's not uncommon with an artist as they begin to move into the sort of final phase of their career and they begin to look retrospectively at the work they've created over a lifetime and begin to look to making simple straightforward photographs that distill the specific subject down to the absolute minimum.
Narrator: This is the last stop on our tour of Danny Lyon: Message to the Future. But it’s far from Lyon’s final work. He continues to take photographs and produce books. He also maintains a blog, Bleak Beauty, that mixes photography and political writing.
Thanks for joining me today. Please enjoy the rest of your visit to the Whitney.
- 550 Introduction to Danny Lyon: Message to the Future
- 552 Danny Lyon, Voting Rights Demonstration, Organized by the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), Selma, October 7, 1963
- 553 Danny Lyon, Crowds along the Funeral Route, Birmingham, Alabama, 1963
- 554 Danny Lyon, Clifford Vaughs, SNCC photographer, Arrested by the National Guard, Cambridge, Maryland, 1964
- 551 Danny Lyon, Self-Portrait, New Orleans, 1964
- 555 Danny Lyon, Kathy, Chicago, 1965 (printed 1966)
- 556 Danny Lyon, View through the Rear Wall, 89 Beekman Street, New York, 1967
- 557 Danny Lyon, Pumpkin and Roberta, Galveston, Texas, 1967
- 559 Danny Lyon, From the Picket Tower, Ferguson Unit, Texas, 1968
- 560 Danny Lyon, Two Inmates, Goree Unit, Texas, 1968
- 561 Danny Lyon, Eddie, New Mexico, 1972
- 558 Danny Lyon, Boulevard Jean-Jacques Dessalines, Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 7, 1986
- 562 Danny Lyon, Haiti, 1987
- 563 Danny Lyon, Abandoned Homestead, Corson County, South Dakota, 2000
- 565 Danny Lyon, Lolly in Ruins, 2007
- 564 Danny Lyon, Occupy Demonstration on Broadway, Los Angeles, 2011
- 566 Danny Lyon, San Luis, New Mexico, 2014