Paul Thek: Diver, A Retrospective Audio Guide Playlist
Exhibition co-curators Elisabeth Sussman and Lynn Zelevansky discuss a selection of works by the legendary American artist, Paul Thek. The audio guide includes commentary by artist Neil Jenney and literary scholar Ed Burns, who also reads excerpts from the artist’s extensive writings.
NARRATOR: Among Thek’s last paintings were these delicate images of butterflies. Like so much of his work, time and decay are built into the painting itself. The fragile newspaper ground has already yellowed with age. Thek’s close friends surrounded him in the hospital at his death, but very few in the art world came to see his last exhibition. Court documents related to Thek’s estate described him as a “relatively unknown artist.”
And yet, we can see the legacy of Thek’s work in the art of the next three decades. In part, this is because he explored the ways materials can have meaning. And in part, it’s because his art was not just in the galleries. It was also the way he lived his life and the person he washis choices, his affect, and the effect he had on the people and world around him. These practicesand the blurred boundaries between his art and his liferesonate deeply in contemporary art.
It is our hope that this exhibition will further restore Paul Thek’s place in the story of American art.
Thank you for joining us on this tour of Paul Thek: Diver.
We wish to thank Ed Burns, Neil Jenney, and Ann Wilson.
This has been an Antenna Audio production.
- 300 introduction to Paul Thek: Diver, A Retrospective
- 301 Andy Warhol, Screen Test: Paul Thek, 1964
- 302 Introduction to Paul Thek’s Meat Pieces
- 303 Paul Thek, Meat Piece with Warhol Brillo Box, 1965
- 304 Paul Thek, Untitled, 1965
- 305 Paul Thek, Untitled (Meat Piece with Flies), 1965
- 306 Paul Thek, Warrior’s Arm, 1967, and other cast body parts
- 307 Paul Thek, The Tomb, 1967
- 308 Introduction to Installations
- 309 a document made by Paul Thek and Edwin Klein (3 volumes), c. 1971
- 310 Paul Thek, Fishman in Excelsis Table, 1970–71
- 311 Paul Thek, Dwarf Parade Table, 1969
- 312 Paul Thek, A Procession in Honor of Aesthetic Progress: Objects to Theoretically Wear, Carry, Pull, or Wave, 1968
- 313 Paul Thek in Ponza
- 314 Paul Thek, Untitled (Diver), 1969
- 315 Paul Thek, Triptych, 1969
- 316 Paul Thek, Untitled (Dinosaurus), 1971
- 317 Introduction to Bojangles
- 318 Paul Thek, The Personal Effects of the Pied Piper, 1975-76
- 319 Paul Thek, Uncle Tom’s Cabin,1975, and The Tower of Babel,1976
- 320 Paul Thek, Notebooks, 1972–87
- 322 Introduction to Journals Post 1975, Paintings
- 323 Paul Thek’s Paintings
- 324 Paul Thek, Hurrah Vacuii!!, c. 1988
- 325 Paul Thek, Susan Lecturing on Neitzsche, 1987
- 326 Introduction to Last Show
- 327 Paul Thek, Tilted Ark II, 1985
- 328 Paul Thek, Untitled (Butterflies), 1988