Collected by Thea Westreich Wagner and Ethan Wagner Audio Guide Playlist
Listen to this audio guide of selected works in the exhibition, Collected by Thea Westreich Wagner and Ethan Wagner, co-organized by the Whitney and the Centre Pompidou.
Elisabeth Sherman: Hi. My name is Elisabeth Sherman. I'm an assistant curator at the Whitney Museum of American Art.
The four vitrines here compose a work by Simon Starling called Work Made-ready, In Light of Nature. Simon Starling was directly inspired for this work by an artist named Karl Blossfeldt, who taught in Berlin between 1899 and 1930.
Blossfeldt is very well known for his photographs of botanical structures documenting almost for the first time the inherent forms in the natural world around us. In addition to these photographs, Blossfeldt was also making bronze models from which his students could draw and sculpt these botanical structures.
Starling was interested in the way that these botanical structures from this moment forward began to inform much of industrial product design. Objects that seemed very distant in our daily lives from the natural world, but whose design is actually inspired directly from these natural structures. For example, in this work he took a contemporary office chair, deconstructed an aluminum component of it, melted that aluminum component down, and recast the original Blossfeldt model of the plant using the material from today to hearken back to the original early twentieth-century model.
- 600 Introduction to Collected by Thea Westreich Wagner and Ethan Wagner
- 601 Simon Starling, Work, Made-ready, In Light of Nature, 2003
- 604 Robert Gober, The Ascending Sink, 1985
- 6042 Robert Gober, The Ascending Sink, 1985
- 605 Bernadette Corporation, Creation of a False Feeling, 2000
- 607 Christopher Wool, Untitled, 1990–91
- 609 Robert Gober and Christopher Wool, Untitled, 1988
- 6072 Christopher Wool, Untitled, 1990–91
- 610 David Robbins, Talent, 1986
- 611 Henrik Olesen, Some Gay-Lesbian Artists and/or Artists relevant to Homo-Social culture V/American Male Bodies/English Lads/Melancholy, 2007
- 615 Daniel Lefcourt, Breach of Contract (Total Nonperformance) & Clarification, 2006
- 616 Sam Lewitt, Paper Citizen 4322, 2010