Collected by Thea Westreich Wagner and Ethan Wagner Audio Guide Playlist
Listen to this audio guide of selected works in the exhibition, Collected by Thea Westreich Wagner and Ethan Wagner, co-organized by the Whitney and the Centre Pompidou.
Elisabeth Sherman: At first glance, this work by Daniel Lefcourt may appear to be a painting from another era. A minimalist canvas of simply black stripes on a white ground.
Upon closer inspection, however, you can see that this is actually almost a sculptural object. It's acrylic on board, cut into this shape and hung directly on the wall. Rather than being all about its form as much as of minimalist painting was, and containing absolutely no content, this work is actually very specifically an absence.
Lefcourt found the mockups from a newspaper's print production, where they had redacted information about a scandalous story that they were covering, leaving only Xs where the images should be, and black lines where all of the text should have been. Lefcourt was drawn to the shapes and forms created by these redacted bands of information, and even more so interested, as he said, in the signs of their absence, that the form itself was very directly reflecting to something that should be there, but isn't quite there.
While not necessarily about our surveillance culture or the hiding or revealing of information by the government, in the contemporary moment this work very much points to all that is around us that we know we cannot see.
- 600 Introduction to Collected by Thea Westreich Wagner and Ethan Wagner
- 601 Simon Starling, Work, Made-ready, In Light of Nature, 2003
- 604 Robert Gober, The Ascending Sink, 1985
- 6042 Robert Gober, The Ascending Sink, 1985
- 605 Bernadette Corporation, Creation of a False Feeling, 2000
- 607 Christopher Wool, Untitled, 1990–91
- 609 Robert Gober and Christopher Wool, Untitled, 1988
- 6072 Christopher Wool, Untitled, 1990–91
- 610 David Robbins, Talent, 1986
- 611 Henrik Olesen, Some Gay-Lesbian Artists and/or Artists relevant to Homo-Social culture V/American Male Bodies/English Lads/Melancholy, 2007
- 615 Daniel Lefcourt, Breach of Contract (Total Nonperformance) & Clarification, 2006
- 616 Sam Lewitt, Paper Citizen 4322, 2010