Collected by Thea Westreich Wagner and Ethan Wagner Audio Guide Playlist
Listen to this audio guide of selected works in the exhibition, Collected by Thea Westreich Wagner and Ethan Wagner, co-organized by the Whitney and the Centre Pompidou.
Elisabeth Sherman: This large blackboard‑like collage by the artist Henrick Olesen is composed of various categories of subject matter. For example, in one section we see the heading "American Male Bodies," and under it sub‑sections categorized by examples like Thomas Eakins, John Singer Sargent, and Henry Scott Tuke. Within each of these sections, Oleson has collaged various images from these moments of art history, depicting—as the title suggests—American male bodies.
Narrator: Please take a moment to examine the rest of this work. You’ll see that it’s a kind of multi-part investigation of a theme.
Elisabeth Sherman: The title of this series, Some Gay Lesbian Artists and/or Artists Relevant to Homo‑social Culture, is investigating the way images in popular culture—either contemporary images in advertising that we're very familiar with, or the images that have been presented to the world throughout art history—construct and force a kind of conformity on social order. Specifically, he's interested in how the depiction of gay, lesbian, and other queer identities have been represented throughout art history, either marginalized, or in other moments, celebrated.
- 600 Introduction to Collected by Thea Westreich Wagner and Ethan Wagner
- 601 Simon Starling, Work, Made-ready, In Light of Nature, 2003
- 604 Robert Gober, The Ascending Sink, 1985
- 6042 Robert Gober, The Ascending Sink, 1985
- 605 Bernadette Corporation, Creation of a False Feeling, 2000
- 607 Christopher Wool, Untitled, 1990–91
- 609 Robert Gober and Christopher Wool, Untitled, 1988
- 6072 Christopher Wool, Untitled, 1990–91
- 610 David Robbins, Talent, 1986
- 611 Henrik Olesen, Some Gay-Lesbian Artists and/or Artists relevant to Homo-Social culture V/American Male Bodies/English Lads/Melancholy, 2007
- 615 Daniel Lefcourt, Breach of Contract (Total Nonperformance) & Clarification, 2006
- 616 Sam Lewitt, Paper Citizen 4322, 2010