Jay DeFeo: A Retrospective Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide features commentary by artist Jay DeFeo, Dana Miller, curator of the permanent collection, Whitney Museum of American Art, Leah Levy, Director, The Jay DeFeo Trust, Corey Keller, associate curator of photography, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Greil Marcus, writer and critic, Ursula Cipa, and Fred Martin, friends of DeFeo.
DANA MILLER: In 1954, DeFeo and her husband, Wally Hedrick, who was a fellow artist, moved to a large apartment and studio space on Fillmore Street. That studio space had, I think, 14-foot ceilings. The environment encouraged her or reinforced her desire to return to oil painting on a large scale.
NARRATOR: DeFeo began working on a group of thickly painted works that she referred to as the Mountain series. This one was subtitled, "Everest." Dana Miller.
DANA MILLER: You get a sense of the geologic quality of the surface, that these almost appear to be rock surfaces with gouges and crevices that one might actually be able to climb on or grab hold of.
NARRATOR: As you'll see, DeFeo used a lot of black, white, and gray. But she objected to the idea that color wasn't important in her work.
JAY DEFEO: I see it as a low-key palette. I see blacks and whites and grays as having color . . . And I also think that texture becomes--such a close element with the color, the textural quality of it almost takes on a color. And at any rate I use a lot of textural changes in the work, and I think for that reason oftentimes the color is minimalized because the richness is taken over by textural concerns.
NARRATOR: Tap your screen to hear Dana Miller discuss the Mountain series and the subtitle "Everest."
- 400 Introduction to Jay DeFeo: A Retrospective
- 401 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Florence), 1952
- 401 2 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Florence), 1952 — Level 2
- 402 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, c. 1953
- 403 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, c. 1953-55
- 404 Jay DeFeo, Landscape with Figure, 1955
- 404 2 Jay DeFeo, Landscape with Figure, 1955
- 405 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Everest), from the Mountain series, 1955
- 405 2 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Everest), from the Mountain series, 1955 — Level 2
- 406 Jay DeFeo, Blossom, 1958
- 408 Jay DeFeo, The Verónica, 1957
- 408 2 Jay DeFeo, The Verónica, 1957
- 409 Jay DeFeo, The Jewel, 1959
- 410 3 Jay DeFeo, The Rose, 1958–66 — Level 3
- 411 Jay DeFeo, After Image, 1970
- 412 Jay DeFeo, Tuxedo Junction, 1965/1974
- 413 Jay DeFeo, Crescent Bridge II, 1970–72
- 414 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, 1973
- 415 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, from the Tripod series, 1976
- 416 Jay DeFeo, Masquerade in Black (Loop System No. 4), 1975
- 417 Jay DeFeo, Pend O’Reille No. 2, from the Eternal Triangle series, 1980
- 417 2 Jay DeFeo, Pend O’Reille No. 2, from the Eternal Triangle series, 1980 — Level 2
- 418 Jay DeFeo, Verdict No. 1, 1982
- 419 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, 1987
- 420 Jay DeFeo, Seven Pillars of Wisdom No. 3, 1989
- 421 Jay DeFeo, Dove One, 1989
- 422 Jay DeFeo, White Water, 1989