The Whitney Museum has openings for several part-time security officers who, as part of the Visitor Experience team, create a positive environment for the general public and Museum members. Security Officers enforce Museum security regulations for the public as well as the staff and patrol an assigned area.
Security Officers contribute to the overall protection of art, provide a security service in the lobby, in the galleries, at the staff entrance, in central and at the Museum’s art storage facility. Security Officers report to: Assistant Head Security Officer, Head Security Officer, Security Supervisor, Security Manager and, Director of Security. Shifts Include Weekends, Overnights, Evenings and Mornings.
- Assist with visitor traffic and crowd control
- Patrol designated area in the galleries or lobby
- Assist visitors by providing directions, answering questions
- Monitor premises and enforce Museum rules of conduct for visitors
- Monitor and report safety conditions
- Responsible for elevator operation
- Check packages of persons and/or staff leaving the Museum
- Monitor CCTV Cameras as required
- Other duties as assigned
- 2+ years of experience in security field, especially working at a visitor destination
- 8 and 16 hour New York State Certification
- Fire Security Officer experience
- Superior communication and customer service skills – active listening
- Comfortable working in an environment with groups of children.
- Ability to stand for long periods
- Neat appearance (uniform required)
- Ability and willingness to participate in events in the evenings and on weekends
- Maneuver safely up and down stairs multiple times a round or shift.
- Must able bend, jump, run and lift about 25 pounds
- Computer literacy a plus.
If interested, please send resume, cover letter and copies of license/certification to: email@example.com and state “Security Officer” in the subject line.