The Whitney is seeking to build our pool of on-call, temporary carpenters. Temporary carpenters may work on various assignments or projects as needed for in-house fabrication and light construction projects. Reporting to the Exhibition Designer and Production Coordinator, and taking direction from the Associate Exhibition Designer, the Carpenter is a union position, working both independently and with full-time or other temporary Exhibitions staff.
- Minimum five years professional experience in a carpentry, cabinet, or woodworking shop, preferably in an art museum setting
- Good knowledge of woodworking machinery and ability to set up this machinery
- Strong knowledge of basic joinery
- Experience building cabinets
- Experience in framing and drywall
- Working knowledge of lumber materials and laminates
- Ability to read and follow design drawings and construction plans
- Ability to take accurate measurements
- An eye for detail and accuracy
- Ability to use own initiative
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Flexible approach
- Basic knowledge of PCs and Microsoft Office
- Must be a team player
- Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.