Legacy: The Emily Fisher Landau Collection Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide, introduced by Alice Pratt Brown Director Adam D. Weinberg, highlights a diverse range of works from the exhibition Legacy: The Emily Fisher Landau Collection. Artists John Baldessari, Gregory Crewdson, Eric Fischl, Jasper Johns, Glenn Ligon, and Mark Tansey provide additional commentary.
NARRATOR: The photographer Gregory Crewdson is known for his surreal vignettes of small town American life. He elaborately stages his photographs on a Hollywood-scale, using a cast, crew, and cinematic lighting, the way a director would shoot a film. This approach allows the artist to control and exaggerate certain visual elements for maximum dramatic effect. Crewdson discusses this photograph, in which a bus driver beckons to a young girl.
GREGORY CREWDSON: The picture, at the core if it, is about light and attempt to tell the story through light.
I like the idea of using common and familiar iconography. These small houses, the school bus, everything in the picture feels, in one way or another, familiar. The people that appear in the houses actually live in the houses. And the man who is the school bus driver is the local school bus driver for that district. So it was very important for me, in a way to combine reality with fiction.
But through the transformation of light and color there’s an unsettling quality in the picture. I like that tension between the iconography of ordinary life and, perhaps, something more sinister.
The narrative possibility of a photograph is very limited in comparison to other narrative forms, like film or literature. A photograph, of course, is always frozen and mute in time. But I’m interested in that limitation and condensing a moment and suggesting a question.
- 400 Introduction to Legacy: The Emily Fisher Landau Collection
- 401 Ed Ruscha, The Act of Letting a Person into Your Home, 1983
- 402 Andy Warhol, Portrait of Emily Fisher Landau, 1984
- 403 Willem de Kooning, (no title), 1987
- 404 Cy Twombly, Untitled, 1964/84
- 405 Richard Prince, Man Crazy Nurse #3, 2003
- 406 Mark Tansey, Valley of Doubt, 1990
- 407 Andy Warhol, Myths, 1981
- 408 Agnes Martin, This Rain, 1960
- 409 Carl Andre, GAZETTEER, 1960
- 410 Rodney Graham, Oak, Banford, 1990
- 411 Allen Ruppersberg, The Gift and the Inheritance (Strive and Succeed), 1989
- 412 John Baldessari, What This Painting Aims To Do, 1967
- 413 Joseph Kosuth, Titled (Art as Idea as Idea), [self], 1967
- 414 Nan Goldin, Self-Portrait with Milagro, the Lodge, Belmont, MA 1988, 1988
- 415 Peter Hujar, Divine, 1975
- 416 Robert Mapplethorpe, Self-Portrait, 1988
- 417 Felix Gonzalez-Torres, Untitled (Love Letter from the War Front), 1988
- 418 Glenn Ligon, Son of a Role Model, 1990/91
- 419 Gregory Crewdson, Untitled (beckoning bus driver), 2001–02
- 420 Neil Jenney, Threat and Sanctuary, 1969
- 421 Eric Fischl, Emptying of the Estuary, 1993
- 422 Jenny Holzer, Under a Rock: You Spit on Them, 1989
- 423 Jasper Johns, Painting with Two Balls, 1971
- 424 Jasper Johns, Untitled, 1988
- 425 Keith Haring, Untitled, 1985