Legacy: The Emily Fisher Landau Collection Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide, introduced by Alice Pratt Brown Director Adam D. Weinberg, highlights a diverse range of works from the exhibition Legacy: The Emily Fisher Landau Collection. Artists John Baldessari, Gregory Crewdson, Eric Fischl, Jasper Johns, Glenn Ligon, and Mark Tansey provide additional commentary.
NARRATOR: In this self-portrait, the photographer Nan Goldin sits on her bed at a rehab clinic for drug and alcohol addiction. Her face is blurred, but her hand is sharply defined, clutching a pillow marked with an institutional logo. Goldin’s bright flash casts a harsh light on the scene, draining the image of color—except for her red lips. The cramped composition, barely able to contain her figure, creates a feeling of claustrophobia, and Goldin appears uncomfortable. The image may look like a snapshot, but in fact it was carefully constructed to communicate mood and emotion.
In the 1970s, Goldin began a project of documenting the most intimate moments of her life. The photographs record herself and her friends in a chronicle of drug use, squalor, and abusive relationships. From these images she produced a landmark work, The Ballad of Sexual Dependency, a slide show with music featuring several hundred images.
Unlike traditional documentary photographers, Goldin is not an outsider looking in, so her photographs never have the distant feel of a document. She is deeply enmeshed with her subjects, and confronts them with candor and empathy—an approach she applies to herself as well.
- 400 Introduction to Legacy: The Emily Fisher Landau Collection
- 401 Ed Ruscha, The Act of Letting a Person into Your Home, 1983
- 402 Andy Warhol, Portrait of Emily Fisher Landau, 1984
- 403 Willem de Kooning, (no title), 1987
- 404 Cy Twombly, Untitled, 1964/84
- 405 Richard Prince, Man Crazy Nurse #3, 2003
- 406 Mark Tansey, Valley of Doubt, 1990
- 407 Andy Warhol, Myths, 1981
- 408 Agnes Martin, This Rain, 1960
- 409 Carl Andre, GAZETTEER, 1960
- 410 Rodney Graham, Oak, Banford, 1990
- 411 Allen Ruppersberg, The Gift and the Inheritance (Strive and Succeed), 1989
- 412 John Baldessari, What This Painting Aims To Do, 1967
- 413 Joseph Kosuth, Titled (Art as Idea as Idea), [self], 1967
- 414 Nan Goldin, Self-Portrait with Milagro, the Lodge, Belmont, MA 1988, 1988
- 415 Peter Hujar, Divine, 1975
- 416 Robert Mapplethorpe, Self-Portrait, 1988
- 417 Felix Gonzalez-Torres, Untitled (Love Letter from the War Front), 1988
- 418 Glenn Ligon, Son of a Role Model, 1990/91
- 419 Gregory Crewdson, Untitled (beckoning bus driver), 2001–02
- 420 Neil Jenney, Threat and Sanctuary, 1969
- 421 Eric Fischl, Emptying of the Estuary, 1993
- 422 Jenny Holzer, Under a Rock: You Spit on Them, 1989
- 423 Jasper Johns, Painting with Two Balls, 1971
- 424 Jasper Johns, Untitled, 1988
- 425 Keith Haring, Untitled, 1985