Hélio Oiticica: To Organize Delirium Audio Guide Playlist
Narrator: On this wall, you’ll see a series of proposals for cinematic installations that Oiticica called Cosmococas—two of which have been realized nearby. Curator Donna De Salvo.
Donna De Salvo: In the Cosmococas, he creates an immersive environment that brings together sound, touch, all of the senses. And these are total environments. And it's emblematic of much of the work that Oiticica does in New York where he begins to experiment with film, with sound, with imagery
— in a way that was very different than what he had done in Brazil.
Now, the proposals for the Cosmococas are quite interesting to look at because in reading these typewritten scripts, you actually see what comprises the Cosmococas. And there's a certain level of interpretation that one deals with inevitably when you reconstruct. Each of these pieces, of course, no longer exists so they are constructed anew every time they are shown. The materials are contemporary materials. However, the imagery, as in the case of CC5-Hendrix War, are the original materials.
Hélio Oiticica and Neville D’Almeida, CC5 Hendrix-War, 1973 (installation view, Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, 2010–2011). Slide series, hammocks, and soundtrack. César and Claudio Oiticica, Rio de Janeiro and Neville D’Almeida. © César and Claudio Oiticica, and Neville D’Almeida
- 500 Hélio Oiticica, Introduction
- 501 Hélio Oiticica, Metaesquema
- 502 Hélio Oiticica, P58 Spatial Relief, Red (P58 Relevo espacial, vermêlho), 1960
- 503 Hélio Oiticica, NC6 Medium Nucleus 3 (NC6 Núcleo médio 3), 1961–63
- 504 Hélio Oiticica, B16 Box Bólide 12, Archaeological (B16 Bólide caixa 12, Arqueológico), 1964-65
- 505 Hélio Oiticica, B33 Box Bólide 18, Homage to Cara de Cavalo (B33 Bólide caixa 18, Homenagem à Cara de Cavalo), 1965-66
- 505-2 Hélio Oiticica, B33 Box Bólide 18, Homage to Cara de Cavalo (B33 Bólide caixa 18, Homenagem à Cara de Cavalo), 1965-66
- 506 Hélio Oiticica, Seja marginal, seja herói (Be an outlaw, be a hero), 1968
- 507 Hélio Oiticica, Tropicália, 1966-67
- 508 Hélio Oiticica, Eden, 1969
- 509 Hélio Oiticica, Rio Parangolés
- 509-2 Hélio Oiticica, Rio Parangolés
- 510 Hélio Oiticica, Babylonests, 1971
- 511 Hélio Oiticica, Topázion-Flor for Haroldo de Campos, 1975
- 512 Hélio Oiticica, Cosmococa
- 513 Hélio Oiticica, PN27 Penetrable, Rijanviera, 1979
- 514 Hélio Oiticica, Manhattan Brutalista (Brutalist Manhattan), 1978