Danny Lyon: Message to the Future Audio Guide Playlist
Listen to commentary from scholars Elisabeth Sussman, Todd Gitlin, Julian Cox, and artist Danny Lyon on selected works in the exhibition Danny Lyon: Message to the Future.
Narrator: Lyon made this montage after a trip China. The central image shows two women. The one on the right is his translator, Lolly.
Elisabeth Sussman: Instead of documenting what was going on in the transition of China into this super-postmodern thing it was today, he got very interested in a few people, and in one person in particular who took him around and was his translator and his guide. It was a young woman, and he became very attached to her. He began to see it through her eyes and looking at her, and so on. They are very modest intimate pictures of China not of large social abstractions.
Narrator: In the photograph, Lolly appears with the proprietor of a fireworks store. There’s no clear narrative. Instead, the point of interest seems to be the play between their postures and attitudes. It is up to the viewer to supply the story, and the meaning.
By building this image into a larger montage, Lyon goes even further in inviting interpretation. He’s included family photos, a fragmentary image of a sculpture, torn wallpaper, and other bits and pieces that seem to emerge from the past. Taken together, the work’s elements serve as a meditation on the relationship between photographic images, memory, and personal meaning.
- 550 Introduction to Danny Lyon: Message to the Future
- 552 Danny Lyon, Voting Rights Demonstration, Organized by the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), Selma, October 7, 1963
- 553 Danny Lyon, Crowds along the Funeral Route, Birmingham, Alabama, 1963
- 554 Danny Lyon, Clifford Vaughs, SNCC photographer, Arrested by the National Guard, Cambridge, Maryland, 1964
- 551 Danny Lyon, Self-Portrait, New Orleans, 1964
- 555 Danny Lyon, Kathy, Chicago, 1965 (printed 1966)
- 556 Danny Lyon, View through the Rear Wall, 89 Beekman Street, New York, 1967
- 557 Danny Lyon, Pumpkin and Roberta, Galveston, Texas, 1967
- 559 Danny Lyon, From the Picket Tower, Ferguson Unit, Texas, 1968
- 560 Danny Lyon, Two Inmates, Goree Unit, Texas, 1968
- 561 Danny Lyon, Eddie, New Mexico, 1972
- 558 Danny Lyon, Boulevard Jean-Jacques Dessalines, Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 7, 1986
- 562 Danny Lyon, Haiti, 1987
- 563 Danny Lyon, Abandoned Homestead, Corson County, South Dakota, 2000
- 565 Danny Lyon, Lolly in Ruins, 2007
- 564 Danny Lyon, Occupy Demonstration on Broadway, Los Angeles, 2011
- 566 Danny Lyon, San Luis, New Mexico, 2014