Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide features a selection of Frank Stella's works in Frank Stella: A Retrospective with commentary by Stella himself, along with scholars, writers, artists, and curators.
Narrator: Stella has long used digital imaging software. In many works, including the more recent ones in this room, he has also used a 3-D printer. Artist Jordan Kantor.
Jordan Kantor: What’s interesting here is we see the artist working with some compositional principles and dynamic spaces that we can recognize from works that he made as many as twenty-five years before, such as in the Circuit Series with this emphasis of moving your eye all the way around the composition.
He’s kind of, I believe wittingly, updating a dynamic language maybe associated with earlier painting all the way back through Abstract Expressionism to maybe even something like Rubens in the way that he's moving our eye around through the space. But he's doing it through lines that have been mediated by some degree of digital technology.
We know that in order for these things to be fabricated this way, at some point they had to arrive into a computer, and they had to come out of a machine. That is a really interesting twist on this idea of gesture. Specifically, as it might relate to a moving arm in space that we could associate with a practice like Jackson Pollock's, for example. Which is something, at the early part of his career, he certainly was cognizant of and responding to.
- 501 Frank Stella, Das Erdbeben in Chili [N#3] (The Earthquake in Chile), 1999
- 502 Frank Stella, Delta, 1958
- 503 Frank Stella, Die Fahne hoch!, 1959
- 504 Frank Stella, Astoria, 1958
- 505 Frank Stella, Avicenna, 1960
- 506 Frank Stella, Creede I and Creede II, 1961
- 507 Frank Stella, Loomings (S-7, 3X – 1st version), 1986
- 508 Frank Stella, The Whiteness of the Whale (IRS-1, 2X), 1987
- 510 Frank Stella, Harran II, 1967
- 509 Frank Stella, Effingham II, 1966
- 511 Frank Stella, Jasper’s Dilemma, 1962
- 512 Frank Stella, Jarmolince III, 1973
- 513 Frank Stella, Gobba, zoppa, e collotorto, 1985
- 514 Frank Stella, Inaccessible Island Rail, 5.5x, 1976
- 515 Frank Stella, Zeltweg, 1982
- 516 Frank Stella, Eskimo Curlew, 1976
- 519 Frank Stella, Raft of the Medusa (Part I), 1990
- 521 Frank Stella, K.144, 2013
- 500 Introduction to Frank Stella: A Retrospective
- 518 Frank Stella, Damascus Gate (Stretch Variation III), 1970
- 520 Frank Stella, Circus of Pure Feeling for Malevich, 4 Square Circus, 16 parts, 2009
- 522 Frank Stella, K.81 combo (K.37 and K.43) large size, 2009