Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide features a selection of Frank Stella's works in Frank Stella: A Retrospective with commentary by Stella himself, along with scholars, writers, artists, and curators.
Narrator: Stella named this painting, Zeltweg, after a racetrack in Austria.
Michael Auping: These curves are actually based on the shape of Formula One and Grand Prix race tracks.
Narrator: Michael Auping.
Michael Auping: He uses curves, found curves as it were, as a form of gesture. Frank's interest in car racing has led him to designing images for the bodies of racecars. He's also driven racecars on occasion. He's someone you really don't want to drive with on the freeway. He drives 100 miles an hour.
What I think he's trying to impart in a painting like Zeltweg is this sense of speed and how these curves from the race tracks or curves that he has made up catapult your eye around and through the painting, which is what a curve does. You follow a line. If it curves, it zips your eye around the picture. That's what he's trying to do in these paintings along with the physical nature of them, in which these curves are made up of various sheets of metal that are then painted. And they're at different distances from your eye. Frank has said on some occasions that when you're driving a race car, following the line and the curve is something you have to really concentrate on. That's what he's trying to get the viewer to do with these so‑called circuit paintings.
- 501 Frank Stella, Das Erdbeben in Chili [N#3] (The Earthquake in Chile), 1999
- 502 Frank Stella, Delta, 1958
- 503 Frank Stella, Die Fahne hoch!, 1959
- 504 Frank Stella, Astoria, 1958
- 505 Frank Stella, Avicenna, 1960
- 506 Frank Stella, Creede I and Creede II, 1961
- 507 Frank Stella, Loomings (S-7, 3X – 1st version), 1986
- 508 Frank Stella, The Whiteness of the Whale (IRS-1, 2X), 1987
- 510 Frank Stella, Harran II, 1967
- 509 Frank Stella, Effingham II, 1966
- 511 Frank Stella, Jasper’s Dilemma, 1962
- 512 Frank Stella, Jarmolince III, 1973
- 513 Frank Stella, Gobba, zoppa, e collotorto, 1985
- 514 Frank Stella, Inaccessible Island Rail, 5.5x, 1976
- 515 Frank Stella, Zeltweg, 1982
- 516 Frank Stella, Eskimo Curlew, 1976
- 519 Frank Stella, Raft of the Medusa (Part I), 1990
- 521 Frank Stella, K.144, 2013
- 500 Introduction to Frank Stella: A Retrospective
- 518 Frank Stella, Damascus Gate (Stretch Variation III), 1970
- 520 Frank Stella, Circus of Pure Feeling for Malevich, 4 Square Circus, 16 parts, 2009
- 522 Frank Stella, K.81 combo (K.37 and K.43) large size, 2009