Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide features a selection of Frank Stella's works in Frank Stella: A Retrospective with commentary by Stella himself, along with scholars, writers, artists, and curators.
Narrator: This painting comes from a series Stella called Cones and Pillars.
Adam Weinberg: The Cones and Pillars series I find particularly fascinating because you have those basic structural forms of cones and pillars which have classical references to them because they remind one, of course, of classical pillars on Greek temples, cones being your basic Archimedes geometric forms.
Yet, what he's doing with them spatially is using them in a very whimsical way. Even though you have the structures of the linear elements, you also have these incredible calligraphic, brightly colored elements which fight against and work against the more structured forms of the cones and pillars themselves.
The combination between what seems to be purposeful and what seems to be random, what seems to be structured and what seems to be disordered is really, really balanced within this work. In a way, it becomes a universe unto itself.
Narrator: Around the time that Stella began the Cones and Pillars series, he was also urging painters to draw inspiration from their medium’s rich history. To hear more about this, please tap your screen.
- 501 Frank Stella, Das Erdbeben in Chili [N#3] (The Earthquake in Chile), 1999
- 502 Frank Stella, Delta, 1958
- 503 Frank Stella, Die Fahne hoch!, 1959
- 504 Frank Stella, Astoria, 1958
- 505 Frank Stella, Avicenna, 1960
- 506 Frank Stella, Creede I and Creede II, 1961
- 507 Frank Stella, Loomings (S-7, 3X – 1st version), 1986
- 508 Frank Stella, The Whiteness of the Whale (IRS-1, 2X), 1987
- 510 Frank Stella, Harran II, 1967
- 509 Frank Stella, Effingham II, 1966
- 511 Frank Stella, Jasper’s Dilemma, 1962
- 512 Frank Stella, Jarmolince III, 1973
- 513 Frank Stella, Gobba, zoppa, e collotorto, 1985
- 514 Frank Stella, Inaccessible Island Rail, 5.5x, 1976
- 515 Frank Stella, Zeltweg, 1982
- 516 Frank Stella, Eskimo Curlew, 1976
- 519 Frank Stella, Raft of the Medusa (Part I), 1990
- 521 Frank Stella, K.144, 2013
- 500 Introduction to Frank Stella: A Retrospective
- 518 Frank Stella, Damascus Gate (Stretch Variation III), 1970
- 520 Frank Stella, Circus of Pure Feeling for Malevich, 4 Square Circus, 16 parts, 2009
- 522 Frank Stella, K.81 combo (K.37 and K.43) large size, 2009