Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide features a selection of Frank Stella's works in Frank Stella: A Retrospective with commentary by Stella himself, along with scholars, writers, artists, and curators.
Adam Weinberg: If you look at the Irregular Polygon, Effingham, what I love about that is you have a parallelogram form that turns the corner. I mean, it's the most idiosyncratic shape of the painting.
Narrator: In his earlier paintings, Stella relied on symmetry and formal simplicity. But by the later 1960s, he began experimenting more broadly. Adam Weinberg.
Adam Weinberg: When you think about it, paintings had always been squares and rectangles or sometimes―as in churches―they were made to fit into the architecture. This is something that's not determined by any architecture. It is determined completely by the artist as a form. And what he does to this, he created a kind of L‑like shape or something that somehow, it almost feels like the painting is about to separate or about to cascade down the wall. But yet in effect, he has created something that is an entity that holds together visually. The parallelogram that is completely bounded by the red line actually holds together and hangs on to the rest of the painting. It doesn't fall. He's seeing how far can he push shape? How far can he push color and still make it a unified satisfying entity?
- 501 Frank Stella, Das Erdbeben in Chili [N#3] (The Earthquake in Chile), 1999
- 502 Frank Stella, Delta, 1958
- 503 Frank Stella, Die Fahne hoch!, 1959
- 504 Frank Stella, Astoria, 1958
- 505 Frank Stella, Avicenna, 1960
- 506 Frank Stella, Creede I and Creede II, 1961
- 507 Frank Stella, Loomings (S-7, 3X – 1st version), 1986
- 508 Frank Stella, The Whiteness of the Whale (IRS-1, 2X), 1987
- 510 Frank Stella, Harran II, 1967
- 509 Frank Stella, Effingham II, 1966
- 511 Frank Stella, Jasper’s Dilemma, 1962
- 512 Frank Stella, Jarmolince III, 1973
- 513 Frank Stella, Gobba, zoppa, e collotorto, 1985
- 514 Frank Stella, Inaccessible Island Rail, 5.5x, 1976
- 515 Frank Stella, Zeltweg, 1982
- 516 Frank Stella, Eskimo Curlew, 1976
- 519 Frank Stella, Raft of the Medusa (Part I), 1990
- 521 Frank Stella, K.144, 2013
- 500 Introduction to Frank Stella: A Retrospective
- 518 Frank Stella, Damascus Gate (Stretch Variation III), 1970
- 520 Frank Stella, Circus of Pure Feeling for Malevich, 4 Square Circus, 16 parts, 2009
- 522 Frank Stella, K.81 combo (K.37 and K.43) large size, 2009