Jay DeFeo: A Retrospective Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide features commentary by artist Jay DeFeo, Dana Miller, curator of the permanent collection, Whitney Museum of American Art, Leah Levy, Director, The Jay DeFeo Trust, Corey Keller, associate curator of photography, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Greil Marcus, writer and critic, Ursula Cipa, and Fred Martin, friends of DeFeo.
NARRATOR: In 1953, DeFeo returned to Berkeley. After painting so intensely in Florence, she shifted her attention to sculpture.
DANA MILLER: She was so impressed by the surfaces of Florence and the patina of age and tried to, in some way, incorporate that type of texture and that sense of time into her pieces.
NARRATOR: The archaic feeling of DeFeo's sculptures comes in part from her use of modest materials.
DANA MILLER: Of course, some of her choices were dictated by affordability and availability, and she was using what was readily at hand and cheap, which was very common at that point in the 1950s, if you look at what artists in New York were doing as well, but I think it's reflective of the very open atmosphere of Abstract Expressionism--that there was a real sense of possibility, that anything and everything could be a material for a work of art. And in her case, it was rags, wood, plaster.
NARRATOR: Most of the sculptures from this period were much larger than this one, and no longer exist. DeFeo would fill her studio with them, rearranging them from day to day--as if they were parts of a larger environment instead of discrete objects in themselves.
- 400 Introduction to Jay DeFeo: A Retrospective
- 401 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Florence), 1952
- 401 2 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Florence), 1952 — Level 2
- 402 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, c. 1953
- 403 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, c. 1953-55
- 404 Jay DeFeo, Landscape with Figure, 1955
- 404 2 Jay DeFeo, Landscape with Figure, 1955
- 405 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Everest), from the Mountain series, 1955
- 405 2 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Everest), from the Mountain series, 1955 — Level 2
- 406 Jay DeFeo, Blossom, 1958
- 408 Jay DeFeo, The Verónica, 1957
- 408 2 Jay DeFeo, The Verónica, 1957
- 409 Jay DeFeo, The Jewel, 1959
- 410 3 Jay DeFeo, The Rose, 1958–66 — Level 3
- 411 Jay DeFeo, After Image, 1970
- 412 Jay DeFeo, Tuxedo Junction, 1965/1974
- 413 Jay DeFeo, Crescent Bridge II, 1970–72
- 414 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, 1973
- 415 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, from the Tripod series, 1976
- 416 Jay DeFeo, Masquerade in Black (Loop System No. 4), 1975
- 417 Jay DeFeo, Pend O’Reille No. 2, from the Eternal Triangle series, 1980
- 417 2 Jay DeFeo, Pend O’Reille No. 2, from the Eternal Triangle series, 1980 — Level 2
- 418 Jay DeFeo, Verdict No. 1, 1982
- 419 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, 1987
- 420 Jay DeFeo, Seven Pillars of Wisdom No. 3, 1989
- 421 Jay DeFeo, Dove One, 1989
- 422 Jay DeFeo, White Water, 1989