Jay DeFeo: A Retrospective Audio Guide Playlist
This audio guide features commentary by artist Jay DeFeo, Dana Miller, curator of the permanent collection, Whitney Museum of American Art, Leah Levy, Director, The Jay DeFeo Trust, Corey Keller, associate curator of photography, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Greil Marcus, writer and critic, Ursula Cipa, and Fred Martin, friends of DeFeo.
NARRATOR: In Pend O’Reille, DeFeo focused on one of her well-worn, kneaded erasers.
LEAH LEVY: She had hundreds of these.
NARRATOR: Leah Levy.
LEAH LEVY: The DeFeo Trust has gallon jars filled with these erasers which she liked, identified somehow as being very special to her and kept. They were her friends in the studio.
LEAH LEVY: At some point, she began photographing them, and it appears that she also began modeling them in a way and sculpting them into small forms that she photographed. These photographs then became models for her drawings, and ultimately for the Pend O’Reille paintings.
DeFeo often thought of her working process as both adding and subtracting, as creating and as destroying, and talked about those as twin activities in making art. The eraser became very crucial in the destroying part. She would take material away from a drawing with the same care that she would add a mark into it, selecting areas very carefully. Specifically eliminating form back to the original page, or in some cases to the protective acrylic she sprayed on the paper so that she wouldn't rip through it when she was erasing.
NARRATOR: Tap your screen to hear DeFeo’s friend and former student, Ursula Cipa, on her use of materials during these years.
- 400 Introduction to Jay DeFeo: A Retrospective
- 401 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Florence), 1952
- 401 2 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Florence), 1952 — Level 2
- 402 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, c. 1953
- 403 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, c. 1953-55
- 404 Jay DeFeo, Landscape with Figure, 1955
- 404 2 Jay DeFeo, Landscape with Figure, 1955
- 405 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Everest), from the Mountain series, 1955
- 405 2 Jay DeFeo, Untitled (Everest), from the Mountain series, 1955 — Level 2
- 406 Jay DeFeo, Blossom, 1958
- 408 Jay DeFeo, The Verónica, 1957
- 408 2 Jay DeFeo, The Verónica, 1957
- 409 Jay DeFeo, The Jewel, 1959
- 410 3 Jay DeFeo, The Rose, 1958–66 — Level 3
- 411 Jay DeFeo, After Image, 1970
- 412 Jay DeFeo, Tuxedo Junction, 1965/1974
- 413 Jay DeFeo, Crescent Bridge II, 1970–72
- 414 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, 1973
- 415 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, from the Tripod series, 1976
- 416 Jay DeFeo, Masquerade in Black (Loop System No. 4), 1975
- 417 Jay DeFeo, Pend O’Reille No. 2, from the Eternal Triangle series, 1980
- 417 2 Jay DeFeo, Pend O’Reille No. 2, from the Eternal Triangle series, 1980 — Level 2
- 418 Jay DeFeo, Verdict No. 1, 1982
- 419 Jay DeFeo, Untitled, 1987
- 420 Jay DeFeo, Seven Pillars of Wisdom No. 3, 1989
- 421 Jay DeFeo, Dove One, 1989
- 422 Jay DeFeo, White Water, 1989