Fireflies For Members
Fireflies for Members
If you’re a Whitney member, you can enjoy priority access to Fireflies on the Water. Your support is so important to the Museum—thank you!
How to See Fireflies
During regular Museum hours
The first twenty minutes of every hour are reserved for members and corporate members. To get your tickets, you must request them upon arrival at the Member Services desk. Due to demand, the Fireflies ticket time you receive may not be in the hour of your arrival, and it’s possible that tickets will sell out for an entire day. The number of passes available to you will correspond to the number of admissions your membership offers.
Members-Only Weekend Viewing Hours
Members can also visit during members-only hours to see this popular installation. Please note that corporate members are not included in these special viewing hours.
October 6, 7, 13, 14, 20, 21, 27, 28; 10–11 am
- Only one person is allowed in the installation at a time
- Individual viewing time is limited to one minute
- Timed tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis. No advance registration is required or possible.
- Visitors must enter the installation one at a time, unless assistance or a guardian (for children under 8) is required. Strollers are not permitted.
- The installation consists of a small dark room lined with mirrors on all sides, a pool in the center of the space, and many small lights hanging from the ceiling, creating visual effects that may be disorienting to some viewers. To experience the work, visitors must step up onto a 6-inch-high platform, pass through a 30-inch-wide doorway, and travel over a 30-inch-wide platform with no edge protection.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is timed ticketing necessary for Fireflies on the Water?
Per the artist’s wishes, visitors must enter the installation one at a time, unless assistance or a guardian is required. There is a one-minute time limit inside the installation. To manage the lines in the fairest way possible—and to allow the best viewing experience—timed tickets are issued.
Can I bring a guest with me to see Fireflies on the Water during the viewing times reserved for members?
The number of tickets available to you will correspond to the number of admissions your membership consistently offers (for example, Individual receives one timed ticket, Dual receives two timed tickets). One-time use guest passes may not be used to access member times or member events for Fireflies on the Water. If your membership does not include a guest admission, then your guests will need to reserve a general admission timed ticket when they arrive. To learn more about your membership level and benefits or to upgrade your membership, please visit membership online or call us at (212) 570-3641.
Is there an additional cost for Fireflies on the Water?
Timed tickets for Fireflies on the Water are free for members and are free with Museum admission for non-members.